How to market your therapy practice in multiple states (2021)
If you're a therapist trying to market your practice in more than one state, you might be sitting in some serious overwhelm right now.
Fortunately, it does not have to be complicated. (I promise.)
In today's post, I'm sharing 3 simple strategies to help you market your practice in multiple states without burning yourself out:
Tip #1: Update your professional directory listings to reflect the states you're serving
Now, today's video was actually inspired by this question from Amanda who asked:
Shout out to Amanda for this excellent question!
(Got a question you'd like me to answer? DM me and I'll try to tackle it in a future video.)
Now, I actually wasn't sure about the answer to this question, so I reached out to Psychology Today directly, and here's what they had to say:
Basically, to be included in multiple statewide searches, you'd need to create a separate profile for each state in which you're licensed-- each with its own separate monthly fee.
So, kind of a bummer.
But, good news: You have other options!
One alternative platform that I highly recommend is TherapyDen.
Boasting over 140 different search filters, TherapyDen is "a progressive directory as
unique and diverse as the society it serves."
TherapyDen is a standalone platform AND they've recently announced a partnership
with Yahoo!, so they have a featured search tool embedded right there within Yahoo! search results!
I love the emphasis that TherapyDen places on the user experience, making the process of connecting with the right therapist so much easier for therapy seekers.
(Want me to do a comprehensive review of this TherapyDen? Let me know!)
There's a lot to love about this platform, but what I want to highlight for you today
TherapyDen makes it really easy for you to market your practice across multiple states!
- Set up a basic profile. (<-- This is completely free, by the way! So, even if you're not marketing your practice across multiple states, there's no reason not to be on this platform.)
- Navigate over to create a premium profile. This is going to give you access to loads of additional features, such as the ability to create custom section headings for your profile, to indicate whether you have a wait list, and...
...to include more states that you're currently licensed in!
TherapyDen also lets you choose to pay $10, $20, or $30 a month, as fits your budget.
(Whichever payment option you choose, you'll still get access to all the same features and you're free to cancel at any time.)
Tip #2: Incorporate location-specific outreach
Essentially, you're building a presence in each individual state you're targeting.
So, for each state where prospective clients are located, you want to identify key points of contact where you can develop relationships to help drive referrals.
For example, you could:
- reach out to state-specific professional organizations and associations to attend virtual or in-person networking events
- pitch yourself as a guest to local podcasts (For example, here in the Twin Cities, we have a variety of podcasts that specifically serve our local community.)
You don't have to start from scratch each time!
If you successfully connected with professional allies and key referral sources in one state, you absolutely can (and should!) replicate that same approach again in a new state.
I share more about how to connect with your professional allies in this post and I shared some practical, therapy-practice-specific ideas live on Instagram.
Tip #3: Establish one cohesive online presence
No matter how many states you're serving, it's vital that prospective clients and patients have a clear, consistent picture of who you are, who you help, and how you help them.
I've shared lots of ways you can do this right there on your website:
- Super-simple website copy tips for beginners
- Worst health/wellness website mistakes (+ how to fix 'em)
- Professional jargon on your practice website
- How to write great private practice website copy
- How to use words to help your clients feel seen
- 3 conversational copy tips
And if you'd like some additional help with this, I'd love to have you join the hundreds of health and wellness professionals who've completed my (free!) #5DayAboutPage
It's a refreshingly simple, step-by-step guide to getting your perfect About page up in just 5 days. Each day, you'll get 1 (very) brief video and 1 (super-)simple action step... PLUS: Personalized feedback from me as you write your copy!
Let's take action!
Here's your action step for today:
- Choose 1 of the tips above + implement it to start marketing your therapy practice in multiple states!
Ready to write your perfect About page?
Join the refreshingly simple #5DayAboutPage Challenge for healers + helpers: